All About Braces
Sherman Oaks, CA
Orthodontic problems are among the most common dental problems that affect many patients. If left untreated, orthodontic problems can result in more serious dental issues, say, for example, teeth damage and even loss. Worse than that is that they usually affect your appearance, something that can darken your smile and steal your confidence. Lucky for you, at Dougherty Orthodontics, we offer several orthodontic solutions, including dental braces, which can help to get your smile back. However, before you go running for braces, it is important to understand everything there is about them, so you can know what to expect.
Read More About Braces:
How Do Dental Braces Work?
One of the most important things to learn about braces before you get them is how they work. Braces help to straighten the teeth by using force to shift them into the correct and desired position. To achieve this, they come with brackets that bond to the teeth, and an archwire that connects the braces. When the archwire is tightened, it creates tension on the teeth, causing them to start shifting.
Read More About How Braces Work
Dental Problems Fixed By Braces
Dental braces can be used to fix some orthodontic problems such as:
- Misaligned teeth caused by teeth crowding, gapped teeth, or misshapen teeth.
- Misaligned bites.
- Misaligned jaw.
Aside from orthodontic problems, dental braces can also fix other dental problems, such as the ones caused by poor oral hygiene due to teeth misalignment
Why Are Dental Braces Important?
Dental braces play a very important role in promoting optimal oral, as well as general, health. By fixing teeth and jaw alignment issues, dental braces restore the optimal functioning of the mouth, which allows you to perform tasks such as eating, brushing, and flossing with ease.
Dental braces also help to prevent the occurrence of additional dental problems, such as oral infection, gum disease, and tooth decay, all conditions that can be caused or worsened orthodontic misalignment.
Lastly, dental braces help to restore the perfect oral structure, which can significantly improve your appearance. As a result, you can smile without fear when interacting with people, doing wonders for your confidence.
Types Of Dental Braces
There are several types of braces you can choose from when seeking a solution to your orthodontic problems. Below is a look at them:
- Metal braces. These are braces that make use of metal brackets. They are the most common type of braces and hence are often referred to as traditional or conventional braces.
- Ceramic braces. These are braces that use ceramic brackets. They are more modern and blend more with the natural color of the teeth. These are mostly picked over metal braces for cosmetic reasons.
- Lingual braces. Lingual braces are attached to the inside surface of the tooth rather than the outside surface. An advantage of lingual braces is that they are not as noticeable as traditional exterior braces that are exposed when talking or smiling.
- Invisalign®. Invisalign® aligners are custom dental aligners that treat teeth misalignment problems. The aligners are made of a clear plastic material, which makes them virtually invisible and aesthetically pleasing. They are removable, which makes them easy to clean and maintain.
Braces are not removable and thus require a lot of care and maintenance to ensure that they are in perfect condition. In turn, this ensures the best results within a shorter period. Below are some ways you can care for your braces:
- Brushing your teeth and flossing regularly, morning, evening and after meals.
- Using a fluoride toothpaste, and if possible, regularly using a fluoride rinse.
- Avoiding sticky foods that can stick to the braces.
- Avoiding hard foods that can damage the braces as you are chewing.
- Regular dental visits allow for a quick check on the condition of the braces and the progress of the results.
If you are considering braces, we at Dougherty Orthodontics, can help you. Call us today at (818) 986-6223 for more information.